There are twelve major Crafthalls that oversee the education of apprentices and journeymen. Several minor Halls are trying to establish themselves, including Runners and Scribers.
Craft Hall Life
Halls have six ranks- Junior and senior Apprentice, junior and senior Journeyman, Master, and Craftmaster.
One Master of each craft is voted by all the other Masters to be the Craftmaster. He or she is responsible for posting Journeymen and Masters, handling administration of the Hall, and advancing knowledge of the craft. “The Masterharper” refers to the Harper Craftmaster, while “Harper Master [Name]” or simply “Master [Name]” would refer to a Harper of Master rank.
Masters have achieved unparalleled skill in one or more aspects of their craft. For example, one Master Harper may specialize in musical composition while another specializes in constructing musical instruments.
Most Apprentices begin training with a local Master and are sent to the Hall if they show significant potential. Their tuition is free. If they graduate, these students give lifelong allegiance to their Hall, regardless of where they live in the future.
Some Apprentices are trained by a Senior Journeyman and are sponsored by their Hold. Tuition is paid by the Hold or the student’s family, if they have enough wealth. They reach the highest rank they are able to achieve in the time they are allotted, rarely higher than Journeyman, and are expected to return home.
Once they reach a Hall, new students have no personal property and are considered to be unimportant until they have earned respect. They begin training through an education system that is more rigorous than those of most Holds. Not all Apprentices are promoted to Journeyman and few Journeymen become Masters.
Advancement from one rank to the next is called ‘walking the tables’. In the great hall where residents gather to eat and socialize, seating is assigned to particular tables or groups of tables. Promotions are announced at a Commencement ceremony, so everyone in attendance witnesses the recipient leave his old table and walk to a new one.
Holds request senior Journeyman and Master crafters through their Halls. If the Mastercrafter approves the posting, they negotiate their own contact with the holder seeking to employ them. Some choose privileges rather than marks or a combination of the two. They may bargain for a choice apartment, runnerbeast, higher quality meals, personal assistants, and so forth. A crafter who accepts a permanent station at a hold is expected to settle down and marry a local girl.
- Located at Beastmasterhold, north of Keroon and protected by Ista Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a yellow bull head to sinister (facing right).
- Craftmaster: Taliana
- Located at Farmcraft Hall, adjacent to Nerat Hold and protected by Ista Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a golden plowshare.
- Craftmaster: Traydon
- Located at Glasscraft Hall, adjacent to Ista Hold and protected by Ista Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field crossed red flaring and yellow joint holder tool.
- Craftmaster: Koriara
- Located at Harper Hall, adjacent to Fort Hold and protected by Fort Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a blue harp.
- Craftmaster: Cameron
- Located at Healer Hall, adjacent to Fort Hold and protected by Fort Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a purple Caduceus.
- Craftmaster: Sarantis
- Located at Masterminerhold, east of Crom and protected by Telgar Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a black pick and shovel crossed.
- Craftmaster: Magnus
- Located at Seacraft Hall, just northwest of Tillek Hold and protected by High Reaches Weyr. Also known as Fishercraft.
- Heraldry: On a white field a sea-blue fish.
- Craftmaster: Zendor
- Located at Mastersmith Hall, northeast of Telgar Hold and protected by Telgar Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a red anvil.
- Craftmaster: Galran
- Located at Mastertanner Hall, south of Igen Hold and protected by Igen Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a brown hide outstretched.
- Craftmaster: Caelum
- Located at Masterweaver Hall, adjacent to Southern Boll hold and protected by Ista Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a purple bolt of cloth.
- Craftmaster: Serella
- Located at Winecraft Hall, adjacent to Benden Hold and protected by Benden Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a burgundy wine skin pouring into a goblet.
- Craftmaster: Livitha
- Located at Woodcraft Hall, adjacent to Lemos Hold and protected by Benden Weyr.
- Heraldry: On a white field a dark green Cedar tree.
- Craftmaster: Corway