Here is an overview of the events of Chapter 3, which take place from Autumn of 1,260 into early Spring of 1,264. The player characters Impress and adapt to life as dragonriders. Events are organized by year and season. Minor encounters are not included. Click here for the soundtrack.
Turn 1,260 (Continued)
- Search begins for Liviath’s clutch of 17 eggs in Ista Weyr’s coverage area.
- Toria and Garred are searched at Keroon by C’del and green Zineth, after many potentials are sent to the courtyard. Toria is asked to stand the queen egg. Her mentor is alarmed that she is giving up her career as a Master healer.
- Kebrin and Selvan are searched Keroon-assigned oldtimer N’rion and blue Erenath. Kebrin attempts to talk N’rion out of the selection due to the importance of his duties at Harper Hall but learns that Ista Weyr is in critical need of his talents.
- Master Jeralan plays Azure Wings for Kebrin at his goodbye party.
- 34 candidates are brought to Ista Weyr, including Kebrin and Toria. Kebrin fears what will happen if Toria impresses a queen if he doesn’t impress a bronze.
- Garoway shows Kebrin and Toria the entrance to the secret underground passage that will let them glimpse the eggs before the hatching.
- The candidates are taught the single, traditional lesson before standing the sands – “As I was told, so I tell you. No more, no less. Remember these two points. Turn out fear and do not let them overeat.”
- Toria impresses green Selenath and becomes known as T’ria. Kebrin impresses brown Valenth and takes the honorific name K’brin.
- The weyrlings are introduced to Weyrlingmaster G’van of brown Birenth and assistant V’lir of green Eluneth.
- Several people express surprise that K’brin didn’t impress a bronze dragon.
- T’ria receieves a congratulations letter and a warm orange and brown scarf from Master Valora.
- Garoway “sneaks” in for a quick visit, mentioning that he’s sent for the PC’s possessions from Keroon.
- Training weeks 1-9: Hatchling and dragonet training – bonding, feeding, cleaning, dealing with emotions, mental communication, and basic care.
- Day 2: The weyrlings get to know each other while resting between chores. They think only two weyrbrats impressed at first, not realizing K’brin isn’t originally from Keroon Hold.
- L’nel, ‘Mia, ‘Vera, H’den, and ‘Mura stay up late the second night, talking about their hatching sands experience, their hatchling’s eggs, etc.
- After being fed meat and fish from bowls daily for the first month, the dragonets are allowed to kill wherries in the pen.
- The youngest weyrlings (‘Mia, ‘Vera, H’den, and ‘Mura) quickly look up to the eldest (G’red, T’vin, K’brin, and T’ria).
- Rumor reaches the weyrlings about K’brin and T’ria’s adventures in Keroon.
- Training weeks 10-17: Weyrlife – The weyrlings are taught in a workshop adjacent to the barracks. They learn the structure of Weyr life, etiquette, rank knots, history, geography, and basic dragon anatomy while participating in light ground exercise and socialization. Weyrlings are allowed venture away from their dragonets for an hour while in uniform.
- Weyrwoman Daena meets with K’brin, T’ria, and Senesta separately to begin training their mental talents.
- K’brin is asked to perform in the living cavern on evenings of Fall to calm traumatized riders.
- F’lian has difficulty with literacy, which begins to hamper his studies. K’brin helps him improve reading skills.
- K’brin and T’ria find their dragons curled up together on Valenth’s couch. The Weyrlingmaster seems displeased by doesn’t forbid it.
- Training weeks 18-22: Basic classroom training begins. Weyrlings are allowed short separations from their dragonets. They study the mechanics of flight, weather prediction, dragon health care, and human first aid.
- ‘Mura feels overwhelmed by classes, especially health care and first aid. T’ria becomes her study partner.
- H’den fails to do his homework for the third time and is ordered to clean dorm latrines.
- Training weeks 23-29: Basic classroom training continues.
- Senesta sneaks into the dorms to visit everyone, as gold riders are trained separately and don’t live in the barracks.
- Dragonet strength training begins with unmounted gliding in the bowl. A few wingbeats and a long glide to the ground are allowed. Riders struggle to control exuberant dragonets.
- ‘Mia’s green Delimoth flies too high, despite her rider’s shouts of protest. G’van instructs everyone to control their dragonets with their minds, not with shouts. Weyrlings begin to realize that their dragons will sometimes forcefully challenge their commands.
- Training weeks 30-35: Basic field training begins – swimming, hunting herdbeasts in the corral, and endurance building with supervised, unmounted flights in the bowl.
- T’ria senses unscheduled Fall over Ista, including the Weyr, late one afternoon in partially cloudy weather with light thunder. Her friends wonder if it’s just the storm upsetting Selenath. K’brin convinces everyone that she’s not imagining things.
- The weyrlings discover a strong, instinctive hatred of Thread in their dragonets that drowns out fear.
- S’deri and green Nemiath are severely wounded and barely land alive in the bowl. S’deri dies, bleeding severely from neck and shoulder scoring. Nemiath goes between. Weyrlings feel the mental shock of dragon death for the first time.
- A memorial is held for S’deri in the living cavern. Riders share drinks over a fancy table he made.
- As T’ria leaves the living cavern, riders salute to thank her for the early warning.
- G’red and blue Ruvinth with L’zar and blue Kosmath are caught trying to do mounted flights at night, feeling pressure to be ready faster and join the combat wings. They are ordered to muck out the corral.
- Training weeks 36-39: Advanced classroom training – thread-fighting techniques, threadfall chart reading, crafting riding gear, equipment care, and professional skills. Dragonets begin field flights, unmounted flights outside the Weyr.
- Weyrlings make their first riding gear from well-oiled and supple hide, lined with suede. They are inspected before approval for use, then stamped with Ista Weyr’s heraldry.
- ‘Vera makes a batch of dragon-shaped sugar cookies for everyone the day before flight training begins, with colored sugar sprinkles in blue, green, and brown.
- Training weeks 40-43: Flight training – map reading and navigation, first mounted flights, visits to landmarks, and traveling between.
- People watch from the ledges as weyrlings form up for their first mounted flights, going up one at a time. Firelizards dance about in the air as they fly. G’van and brown Birenth offer guidance and encouragement, V’lir and green Eluneth supervise from the air.
- H’den and blue Wurinth are lost between on a return trip from the Red Butte.
- G’red becomes very protective of ‘Mura and ‘Vera, fearing age was a factor in H’den’s loss.
- S’lina and green Lirfeth are stranded overnight outside the Weyr when Lirfeth pulls muscles from flying too much. S’lina wanted to touch the clouds.
- The weyrlings take a beach trip, given a day off as a reward for learning all of Pern’s major navigation points for travel between.
- The weyrlings move into their private weyrs and are awed by the history of their quarters.
- Training weeks 44-47: Ground drills – marching drills, mounted ground drills, longer mounted flights, and visits to nearby holds.
- Telgar Weyr’s gold Mirakith of Vanorica rises to mate.
- Training weeks 48-51: Advanced field training – firestone grades, chewing stone, fire breathing, flying at night and in poor weather conditions, visiting other Weyrs, and flying in three-vees (formations of 3).
- ‘Vera and green Arcadith are lost between on the way to Telgar Weyr in a thunderstorm. Weyrwoman Vanorica and Mirakith comfort the weyrlings.
- Each weyrling receives a full day of individual firestone chewing instruction, handled with extreme care.
- Training weeks 52-57: Wing formation flying – practicing various formations with a gradual increase in flight duration. Team building is emphasized.
- Training weeks 58-61: Rope drills – three-vee, single wing, multiple wing, wing travel between, and between skips to kill Thread.
- F’lian and green Kiazuth are lost between after a collision with P’ven and blue Parth during rope drills. F’lian at fault but P’ven struggles with guilt. A memorial is held for F’lian.
- Search for Mirakith’s clutch of 25 eggs in Telgar’s holdings.
- Training week 62: Weyrlings are finally allowed to fly without supervision or scheduling. The Weyrlingmaster suggests their first flight be completely alone.
- Garoway asks K’brin and T’ria to take him for a ride to his original home of Fern Bluff, a long-abandoned cothold on Mountainview Island. He seems to know his time is short.
- Training weeks 62-67: Combat drills – introduction to mating flights, night rope drills, unscheduled calls to battle and readiness tests, and full Fall duration flights. The weyrling wing has its first completely successful rope drill.
- Training week 68: First Fall. The weyrlings fly replenishment duty (firestone delivery). They bag firestone, pass the bags along a human chain, load up a delivery rider, and deliver to fighting wings via the “dragon toss”.
- Training week 70: The seyrlings fly trailing edge and post-Fall sweeps led by the Weyrlingmaster.
- Training week 72: Queen’s Fall. The weyrlings fly auxiliary to the Queen’s Wing, fighting Thread on their own for the first time.
- The weyrlings attend their graduation ceremony and become dragonriders.
- Combat wing promotion takes place over the next week as Wingleaders take riders from the Weyrling table one at a time.
- K’brin does not become Weyrharper yet to keep Garoway busy.
- Timor Wing chooses T’vin, G’red, R’del, T’ria, S’lina, and ‘Mura.
- Belior Wing choses K’brin, S’van, L’zar, P’ven, ‘Mia, ‘Nova, and L’nel.
- Fall over Sunderland Pass, halfway between Katz Field and Big Bay, tests the new wings. Some of the new riders are “blooded”.
- G’red and blue Ruvinth of Timor Wing are severely wounded, protecting ‘Mura from a partial burn and scoring from a split crosswinds clump. They move to the medical barracks and a ground level weyr.
- Spring games prove Ista riders are exceptional. Riders participate in chain toss (6-man teams of firestone sack chains), burn and turn (three-vee rope drills), and ready races (foot races carrying dragon tack).
- ‘Mia and green Delimoth are lost between trying to freeze off Thread during Fall over the southern Nerat peninsula.
- T’ria has vivid nightmares about thread and being lost between.
- T’vin of bronze Kelovith begins training as a future Wingleader. K’brin becomes Weyrharper. T’ria becomes Weyrhealer (a new role).
- Benden Weyr’s junior gold Ryleneth of Kybira rises to mate for the first time.
- G’red and blue Ruvinth decide to lose themselves between (suicide). Their wounds will not heal further, Ruvinth can’t fly without great pain, and they can never fight Thread. His clutchmates provide escort.
- A joint Fall between Ista and Igen leads to trouble when Igen stops short of the border west of Mastertanner Hall. Ista’s leading Wing is forced to flame close to the ground and three riders are injured.
- The Hall beckons dragonriders by tipping the banners to offer gifts and thanks.
- An investigation reveals that Igen’s Fall coverage maps are older than Ista’s.
- Search begins for Ryleneth’s first clutch of 16 eggs in Benden’s holdings.
- Dragonriders attend the Autumn Gather at Ista Hold and are honored, despite lingering social tension due to Lord Renatus’ part in the “inky plot”. L’nos attends the first night to talk to the PCs.
- Dragonriders deliver spare beans, peas, and grain from Tillek to Nerat. Tillek intends to switch most grape vineyards over to production of beans and peas using existing trellises. Nerat women try to get pregnant by dragonriders.
- Dangerous Fall expected over Nerat occurs instead over Igen Sea Hold during a thunderstorm after a “knife blade” wind front. The dragons are pushed beyond their limits. Selenath is scored. Fall ends early due to torrential rain.
- T’ria is told to exercise Selenath but not fly Fall. She visits home and the cotholds have a bonfire party to celebrate. It is a great honor that one of them Impressed.
- Oldtimer M’din and blue Faricath of High Reaches Weyr invite everyone to a “snow day”. An avalanche made a giant snow field that dragons can play in.
- K’brin and T’ria are asked to visit Telgar to bolster morale after recent loses and to deal with oldtimer ‘Wenas’s mental illness. Her talent is causing collective nightmares and Fall deaths.
- Garoway passes away at the age of 77, fulfilled in life and ready to leave his old achy body behind. The dragons honor Garoway, the first time K’brin and T’ria have felt it for a non-rider.
- Karthen asks K’brin and T’ria to visit him at Benden Hold for Turnover. They meet “Harwell” and receive Garoway’s final gifts.
- High Reaches faces a double Fall over River Bend and Marlton. Volunteers asked to help. T’gan and B’ran go with the PCs, while Benden sends Alpha wing.
- G’mar hosts a memorial for all lost in 1,262 held during long break for Ista Weyr, riders and weyrfolk, as a new annual tradition on the last day of Winter.
- Master Sanell accepts a posting at Ista Weyr, ostensibly to help with the soon-to-be expanding population. He has training in psychology and diplomacy.
- Intra-Weyr Spring games are hosted at Igen Weyr, which has plenty of guest weyrs.
- T’ria senses an off-schedule Fall over Nerat in the early morning hours, while Belior wing is flying drills. Belior wing responds immediately. Riders are forced to skip around to catch up with Thread, badly breaking formation. A blue rider dies later that night from threadscore and a green dragon becomes an oldtimer from a crippling injury.
- Food shortages are reported after a long winter at the Council meeting. Lack of food production, due to evacuated cotholds and areas burned by infestations, has been increasing for five Turns and has become critical.
- A political crisis is started by “refugees” leaving Nerat for Benden lands.
- All of the Holders of Ista Weyr coverage meet, including lesser holds. The Masterharper attends and gives a scathing rebuttal when they complain about Thread burrows.
- Dragonriders agree to deliver construction stone to cotholds so that farmers can move back out of the holds and plant crops.
- Tumar is promoted to Master and takes over the Harper Hall library when Master Orthus dies of ill health.
- Cotholders desperate to bring in the harvest stay out in the fields during a Fall. From young to old, everyone cuts grain and rushes bundles into a stone barn. Dragonriders take a dangerously aggressive stance against Thread. No clumps hit the ground and the crops are saved.
- Dragonriders are sent west and see if they can reach the Far Continent, in case it has wild grains that can be harvested for seeds.
- Lordling Colton offers to meet with the PCs to help with the investigation into his father’s culpability during the “inky plot” at Ista’s Spring Games.
- T’ria’s green Selenath rises to mate for the first time. S’lina notices first. T’vin warns K’brin that N’sel will participate.
- Steward Henrick is “outed” as Ista Hold’s ringleader of the Inky plot and hung.
- At the Spring Games, Colton is publically introduced as a Lord, forcing Lord Renatus to acknowledge him or challenge him to a duel.
- T’ria discovers a hidden dragon symbol in clues left behind at ancient cache sites. When she looks at the symbol, it evokes a strange vision in all dragons and their riders. The Weyrs scramble to investigate the vision and the dangers it reveals.